Lenbachhaus

Munich

© J Collingridge

Lenbachhaus

Munich

© J Collingridge

Lenbachhaus

Munich

© J Collingridge

Client:Landeshauptstadt München, Baureferat

Architect:Foster + Partners, London

Facade area: 2500 m²

Completion: 2012

Materials used:Aluminium windows, metal sheet facades

Project Data

more informations

Designed in the Florentine style, and completed in 1891 as a villa and studio for the artist Franz von Lenbach, the Lenbachhaus became Munich’s city art gallery in 1924.

The challenge for the museum’s renewal lay in conserving the ensemble of historic buildings and maintaining the amount of gallery space, while providing new circulation and visitor areas, a restaurant, terrace and shop. Schneider was awarded with the ventilated, highly ornamented and finely divided metal facade of the new wing as well as with the general restoration of the windows of the old wing.

Conceived as a ‘jewel box’ for the gallery’s treasures, the new wing is clad in aluminium-copper-alloy tubes whose colour complements the villa’s rich ochre render. Circulation through the building has been completely redefined, beginning with a new entrance sequence via a piazza to the east of the museum, which has allowed the historic courtyard to be reinstated as a tranquil garden.

Back to overview